FriarBall: SD Fires

Thursday, October 25, 2007

SD Fires

So I am late in getting this up and I know a number of other blogs and web sites have mentioned things about the SD fires but I wanted to quickly say that my thoughts and prayers are with those affected.

Looking at the great maps provided by SignOnSanDiego.com, what really gets to me is how close those fires are to where I used to call home. Living in Penasquitos between the ages of 4 and 14, I knew people from and went to school in Poway, had friends go to Rancho Bernardo and even had teachers that lived in Ramona.

It's been a long time since I've talked to any of those people but it doesn't make the feelings any less real, and having gone through similar situations in the past - I lived 15 minutes from Columbine when those shootings happened and now live in the DC area, just a couple of hours away from Virginia Tech - I have seen how hard tragedies like this can be to deal with. And now as body counts are beginning to come in, it makes situations like this that much harder.

I'm rambling so I will cut this short - to everyone in San Diego: Stay safe and let your loved ones know you are alright. And while it may take some time to recover from these events, just remember that being around people you love at times like this can make all the difference.

No comments: