FriarBall: Let the optimism begin

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Let the optimism begin

If there is one thing that I love about Spring Training (or maybe I really despise it, I can never tell) it's all of the optimism that floats around.

The oft-injured starter that hasn't played a full season since the Padres last made the World Series? "I'm in the best shape of my life."

The struggling slugger who had career lows in BA, HR, RBI, etc. but wasn't injured? "I've been working out all offseason and have put on 15 pounds of muscle."

The perpetual minor leaguer hoping this year is the year he finally cracks the big league lineup? "I've lost 10 pounds so I am more lean and mean."

But regardless of the canned line of optimism, the truth is this - the slate is wiped clean, everyone is optimistic their team is ready to win it all this year (except maybe Pirates fans, sorry Pittsburgh) and until the first pitch is thrown we have no idea how out of shape the team's fatty is this go around.

Happy spring everyone.

No comments: